Saturday, October 25, 2008

Egyptian Adventure – 13: meeting Jesus.

(Written: 10-25-08)
Something I’ve been thinking a lot about and decided I want to begin doing (started this morning actually :o) is reading the gospels with new eyes – eyes that focus solely on Jesus, his actions, responses, cares, manner, etc…

Surely this is a “no brainer” but I feel that in the past my emphasis has been on what’s in the stories for me to learn, what’s in a verse for me to lean on, what’s the context and the intellectual side of how that informs my reading and understanding of Christianity. All perhaps worthy pursuits but to some neglect of truly getting to know the character of Jesus. It’s the desire in me to switch from a “me” focused engagement with Christianity and to approach it with an attitude of “Jesus, what was important to you? What will you teach me about the best way to engage in life?”

Some of this interest I think has been prompted from being in a Muslim country where the life of Mohammad to a Muslim is central. They base their daily lives to a large extent on his behavior, sayings, responses, etc. - All that for a man. So why would I do any less for my God?

No comments:

Post a Comment