I am currently reading the book “Leadership Essentials” by Greg Ogden and Daniel Meyer and am really excited about it! I’m not generally a “book study” type person so it’s especially rewarding – perhaps this represents a small submission of my pride :o) to be taught and guided...
In the outflow of my captivation I am writing but it pains me to know that this is not something easily shared in the written word - it is something to be experienced. Rapture in God's presence...
The section I am on is exploring the Character of a leader, specifically Holiness. WHAT a revamp on my gut level understanding of holiness! Reading about the character of Christ and really delving into the concept of Holiness makes me want to know Him so much more! As holiness is, he is utterly irresistible and magnetic. I can’t even articulate the depth of my conviction on this point right now and I know I’m still floating on the surface. It’s like catching the indirect smile of someone you’ve never met but suddenly being reminded of how full a smile can be….sensing depths behind it and being drawn in to know more. I guess I’m realizing anew that those moments of magnetism, charisma, impact, and presence that we’re drawn to in people is nothing but a fleeting reflection of Christ’s character of holiness.
Jesus’ leadership was powerful because, “His influence was the effluence of his essence. His impact was the overflow of his identity. His conduct was the outpouring of his character.” (p22) In all of history is there any single person that has made such a powerful and enduring impact as Jesus? I cannot think of any. His character of holiness is compelling.
There is nothing about true holiness that is containable - it is: integrity of thought and action, the cultivation of the fruit of our spirituality, intentional focus of one’s existence as being dedicated (consecrated) to God, and the humble expression of transcendent power of influence.
C.S. Lewis said, “How little people know who think that holiness is dull. When one meets the real thing…it is irresistible.” (22) The impact of true and unpretentious purity (wholeness – integrity, authenticity, morality), the manifestation of glory (life and light of God – fruits of the spirit), to be consecrated to God’s presence and service, to remember the staggeringly awesome presence and power of the one we serve – this is to be Holy. Jesus’ quality of character was so attractive that people have followed him for centuries – holiness is perhaps the most preeminent of his character qualities.
“Holiness is the compelling beauty and fullness of God’s own nature for which we were made.” (23)
...May my essence reflect his spirit, may my identity be wholly founded in him, and may my character be modeled after his example….
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It IS something to be experienced, but you, by writing, help us to understand the importance of this and reach for it! Thanks for that!
ReplyDeleteWhoa, Kaeli (to coin Seth!)! You make me want to read the book...thanks for taking the time to articulate your delight!
ReplyDelete